Continuing healthcare

NHS Chorley and South Ribble CCG is responsible for making decisions about the funding of continuing (or ongoing) healthcare treatment and support, as well as individual (or personal) healthcare treatment requests.

The sections that follow describe more about what continuing and individual healthcare are, and also explains how decisions are made about what treatment or care is funded.

Continuing healthcare

Continuing healthcare is free care that is given outside of hospital, which is arranged and funded by the NHS. It is only available for people who have specific healthcare needs.

Where is continuing healthcare provided?

NHS continuing healthcare can be provided in any setting, including a care home, hospice or the patient's home.

If someone in a care home gets this type of healthcare, it will cover their care home fees, including the cost of accommodation, personal care and healthcare costs.

If this type of healthcare is provided in the patient's home it will cover personal care and healthcare costs. It may also include support for the patient's carer.

Who is able to receive continuing healthcare?

Patients that are able to get this type of care must be assessed as having a primary health need, and they must have a complex medical condition and 'substantial and ongoing care needs'.

Not everyone with a disability or long-term condition will be able to receive this type of care.

How is it decided who can receive continuing healthcare?

An assessment is made of the patient to check that they have an appropriate primary health need.

The assessment is person centred, meaning that the patient is fully involved in the process. They are kept informed, and have their views about their own needs and support taken into account.  A patient's carer is also asked what they think.

A decision about whether someone can receive this type of care will usually be made within 28 days of an assessment being carried out.

What if it is decided that continuing healthcare cannot be funded?

If it is decided that the patient does not qualify for continuing healthcare, the local authority will be responsible for assessing their care needs and then providing appropriate social services if the patient is assessed as needing them.

If the patient does not qualify for continuing healthcare but they have other healthcare or nursing needs, they may still receive some care from the NHS.

For someone who lives in their own home, this could be provided as part of 'package of care', where some services come from the NHS and some from social services.

If the patient moves into a nursing home, the NHS may contribute towards their nursing care costs, which is called NHS-funded nursing care.