With the winter season upon us, a number of celebrities have backed the ‘stay well this winter’ campaign and are reminding people of some simple actions which can help you stay well this winter.
- Warm: Keep your house warm this winter at least 18°C (65F)
- Immunisations: Get your flu vaccination
- Neighbours: Keep an eye on elderly neighbours and relatives
- Timely: Seek advice from a pharmacist at first sign of illness
- Enough: Pick up repeat prescriptions so you have enough while pharmacies/surgeries are closed
- Restock: Make sure you have enough food and medicine in the cupboards
The latest data reveals that excess winter deaths contribute to about 1 in 20 of all deaths per year, with older people who may be frail, or who have existing long term health conditions, most at risk.