Who we are and what we do
We are responsible for ensuring that the healthcare services we plan, buy and deliver are safe, effective and of the highest quality. We are also responsible for making sure that these services are value for money.
The services we buy for patients include:
- Planned hospital treatment, diagnostic tests and appointments
- Urgent or emergency care
- Community health services, such as specialist or district nurses, speech and language therapy or rehabilitation
- Mental health services
- Maternity and newborn services
- Children’s healthcare services
- Services for people with learning disabilities
Family doctor (GP) services, dentists, pharmacy services and opticians are bought by NHS England, who also buy some specialist services.
As well as planning, organising and buying services, we work closely with local councils to make sure that health services are joined up with social care services, and we are always checking that the healthcare organisations providing services to our patients are high quality and that they are providing good care and treatments.
Our current priorities are to improve healthcare in the following areas:
- Heart disease and stroke
- Mental health
- Long term conditions (such as diabetes)
- End of life care
We are also aiming to make improvements in the following healthcare areas:
- Prescribing and medications
- Hospital-based care
- Urgent and emergency care
- Community-based care
As of April 2015, Chorley and South Ribble CCG also assumed ‘delegated responsibility’ from NHS England for commissioning GP primary care services. This will help the CCG give patients, communities and clinicians more scope in deciding how local services are developed.
Specifically, the CCGs will carry out the following activities:
- Planning, including needs assessment, of primary (medical) care services in NHS Chorley and South Ribble CCG and NHS Greater Preston CCG;
- Undertaking reviews of primary (medical) care services in NHS Chorley and South Ribble CCG and NHS Greater Preston CCG;
- Co-ordinating a common approach to the commissioning of primary care services generally;
- Managing the budget for commissioning of primary (medical) care services in NHS Chorley and South Ribble CCG and NHS Greater Preston CCG